Watch Our Nursing Home Masterclass
estate planning and elder law

How Can You Minimize Taxes During Retirement?

How Can You Minimize Taxes During Retirement?
Take time to consider the tax impact of your financial decisions and speak to a professional to make sure you don’t pay more than anticipated during your non-working years.

During your working years, your actions to minimize taxes aren’t the same as those you’ll need after retirement. How you manage your tax liability may have an even bigger impact during your non-working years, says a recent article, “5 Ways to Minimize Taxes on Retirement Income,” from U.S. News & World Report. Jayson Lenox, Partner with Beck, Lenox and Stolzer Estate Planning and Elder Law, LLC,  believes that re-evaluating finances and tax liabilities at retirement age can help minimize taxes for the coming decades. So, how can you minimize taxes during retirement?

Roth Conversion. Once you’ve turned 59 ½ years old and the account has been opened for at least five years, you may take withdrawals tax-free at any time with no taxes or penalties. The conversion takes planning to avoid pitfalls. First, you must be prepared to pay the taxes on the converted accounts. You’ll also need to be careful not to place yourself in a higher tax bracket. Converting to a Roth should be done when income is lower.

Delay Social Security Benefits. When you start taking benefits will impact whether the amount you receive could be subject to taxes. If you file taxes single and your income is more than $25,000, you’ll pay taxes on as much as 85% of your Social Security benefit! Married couples with income exceeding $32,000 will suffer the same tax fate. If possible, delay taking Social Security until after you reach Full Retirement Age (FRA) which is 66 or 67 for most people. If you can delay taking benefits until age 70, you’ll have reached the maximum benefits, but circumstances don’t always allow this.

Coordinate Estate Planning with Required Minimum Distributions (RMD). After age 73, you’ll probably need to start taking RMDs from traditional IRAs and 401(k)s. If you forget, there will be penalties. If you take the RMDs, you must pay taxes on the income. Talk with your estate planning attorney to explore how you might keep your withdrawals within lower tax brackets to reduce your tax liability.

Consider Low-Tax States. If retirement relocation is in your future, consider state tax laws in your decision-making. Some states don’t tax Social Security benefits, while others provide exemptions for pensions. You’ll want to investigate income, sales and property taxes. Your analysis should include an overview of all the factors. For instance, a state may not tax Social Security, but it might have higher property taxes.

Create a Trust. Creating a trust removes assets from your taxable estate. Depending upon the trust your estate planning attorney recommends, you may need an irrevocable trust, which gives the trust the assets and control of the assets to the trustee. Income generated by the assets in the trust may be taxed at a different rate than your income. That irrevocable trust also serves to qualify an individual for Medicaid nursing home benefits if the trust was created five years ago or longer.

Estate planning and tax planning intersect in many ways, so speak with an experienced estate planning attorney to see what strategies are available to minimize taxes during retirement.  A Beck, Lenox and Stolzer attorney is happy to provide a complimentary phone consultation and then a follow-up office consultation, also complimentary, if warranted.  Start by scheduling the phone consultation here.

Reference: U.S. News & World Report (March 14, 2024) “5 Ways to Minimize Taxes on Retirement Income”

Subscribe to Our Free Monthly E-Newsletter & Blog Digest!

Recent Posts

Need to Email Us?

If we are currently working with you or your family member, please DO NOT use this email as it may take longer to route your inquiry to the specific person working on your file. Instead, please call our office at (636) 946-7899 so we may better serve you

For all other inquiries: